Saturday, August 1, 2009

FRESH VEGGIES


Theresa, my friend and mentor from work, is always sending me home with food. It's usually left over stuff from a banquet or meeting, but I'm not complaining (those little boxes of cereal come in handy). This time however, she sent me home with a basket of vegetables from her garden. I was ecstatic to see the tomatoes and corn since they both are sort of expensive at the store. However, I was unsure of the okra. Living in the south, I have of course HEARD of okra, but I don't remember ever eating it, much less COOKING it. So I asked around and was basically told to cut it up, bread it and fry it. So I did. And it was DELICIOUS! Of course the girls had nothing to do with it because it wasn't macaroni and cheese, but I really liked it. Actually, I really liked all the fresh vegetables. Peeling the corn reminded me of my childhood, when dad would put us out on the back porch to do it, so as not to make a mess. The tomatoes were delicious and tasted like sunshine. Now I know why vegetables are one of the four food groups!

Shelly
If only I had some raspberries...

2 comments:

Mom said...

Glad to see that you are expanding your horizons when it comes to fresh vegetables. Did you come up with a recipe for Raman Noodles and okra yet?

SillyShelly said...

No but I was stir-frying the other night and didn't have enough veggies so I cut up some okra, and it was totally delicious. I even took the leftovers to work for lunch. I'm THAT good...